J Public Relations
Multi-phase Master Plan under way at this legendary beachfront resort
Coronado, Calif. (February 1, 2020) – Hotel del Coronado has completed the first year of its multi-year, multi-phase Master Plan that will bring to life a new vision of the world-renowned seaside resort. The Master Plan, a roadmap of “The Del’s” future, which includes a phased development to preserve, revitalize and develop new aspects of the property, is slated to be complete in late 2021.
“We have a lot in store for Hotel del Coronado,” said General Manager Harold Rapoza Jr. “As we celebrate the hotel’s 132nd anniversary on February 19, we also celebrate our progress toward ushering in this next chapter, in which we rejuvenate The Del’s timeless story with historic preservation and the addition of new, unprecedented guest experiences that will create indelible memories for generations to come.”
Key elements of Hotel del Coronado’s $400 million reimagination include:
- ARRIVAL – Hotel del Coronado is restoring its bygone sense of arrival with a new landscaped entry featuring a grand view of the iconic red turret. The brick-lined driveway will harken back to the Victorian era with a new front façade inspired by the property’s original front porch and wide veranda featuring two sets of entry stairs.
- MEETINGS – A new Event Center is being developed on the south side of the resort, which will accommodate events of up to 800-1,000 guests. The state-of-the-art facility will feature a 15,000 square foot clear-span ballroom with approximately 10,000 square feet of pre-function and break-out meeting space. The venue will open onto a 14,000 square foot Great Lawn with views of the historic hotel. Additionally, all of the existing meeting space throughout the resort, including the Cabana building, Founders Hall (formerly Grande Hall), and the Victorian building, will receive a new interior design update.
- ACCOMMODATIONS – A new resort-within-a-resort is being developed on the south side of the resort, featuring residential-style villas oriented around an ocean-view pool with private cabanas, ocean-air bar and firepits. The villas will be developed as whole-ownership, limited term use condominiums, presenting the final opportunity to own resort real estate at the iconic property. Enhancements are currently underway to the existing 97 Cabana guestrooms, including a design upgrade and the addition of outdoor fire pits, chaises and cabanas. The existing 214 guestrooms and suites at The Views will also receive exterior and interior renovations to include enhanced balcony and terrace experiences. The new Villas will bring the total number of guestrooms on property to 901.
- DINING – Hotel del Coronado’s culinary outlets will be revitalized as well, beginning with the addition of the new Clique Hospitality concept Serẽa, which opened in June 2019. Serẽa offers a robust, Mediterranean inspired menu that showcases the best sustainable seafood and heritage meats the region has to offer, prepared by San Diego native and Clique Hospitality Executive Chef and Partner JoJo Ruiz. The indoor / outdoor bar serves as the restaurant’s see-and-be-seen focal point and spotlights specialty cocktails, local brews and a well-curated, eclectic wine list, making it the perfect place to celebrate the seaside beauty of San Diego. ENO Market and Pizzeria will re-open in summer 2020 as a gourmet Italian marketplace serving artisanal pizzas, and grab and go sandwiches, salads and other delectable bites. The property’s scenic Sun Deck will feature stunning views and a new 360-degree bar and full kitchen for an elevated poolside experience. The historic B&S Bar will reopen in summer 2020 following meticulous work to restore the 50-foot mahogany bar, including its original cupola feature which was through to be lost for many years and recently uncovered in storage. Also to come is a refresh of Sheerwater restaurant and its breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.
- HISTORIC PRESERVATION – In addition to the restoration of Hotel del Coronado’s original front porch, the multi-phase development will include the preservation of buildings that date back to the late eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds including the Power Plant (that once provided power to the entire island of Coronado), Laundry, Ice House and Oxford Building. The Ice House will be renovated for use as a history museum, a space for guests and visitors to learn more about The Del’s unique and fascinating history.
- OUTDOOR EVENT VENUES – The Del’s Vista Terrace event venue, expanded and reopened in 2019, offers panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and the iconic red-roofed turret. This new outdoor space hosts up to 700 guests. With the completion of the new conference center comes a 14,000 square foot Great Lawn with views of the historic hotel.
- PARKING – The majority of the parking will be located underground, with two new underground parking structures, one below the Conference Center and one on the north side of the property near Beach Village, totaling 1,179 parking spaces at Hotel del Coronado and Beach Village at The Del.
The first phase of The Del’s reimagination was completed in 2019, with the opening of the new north parking structure, the restoration of the Laundry, the completion of Vista Terrace and the debut of Serẽa. Summer 2020 will mark the unveiling of the Cabana guestroom and meeting renovations along with the Cabana pool, Sun Deck rooftop lounge, new bar experience, and ENO market & pizzeria. Additional enhancements will be completed in phases throughout 2020 and 2021, with the grand opening of the new Event Center, main entry, and Villas anticipated late 2021.
About Hotel del Coronado
Set on one of America’s most iconic beaches, the legendary Hotel del Coronado has welcomed discerning travelers for more than 130 years to experience Southern California coastal lifestyle at its best. Here, the magic and nostalgia of the property’s storied past blends seamlessly with contemporary luxury in 757 guestrooms. Hotel del Coronado and Beach Village at The Del have every modern amenity imaginable from bespoke concierge services and holistic spa experiences to private chefs and exquisite oceanfront dining. Known for creating memories and engaging experiences with endless recreational seaside activities, an award-winning spa, and oceanfront dining, this world-renowned San Diego resort seamlessly connects her storied past with today’s Southern California coastal lifestyle.