BUILT IN 1888
When the resort first opened in 1888, the front porch consisted of a large veranda which ran across the entire front elevation of the hotel, from the Ballroom to the Crown Room. This entryway was an inviting place to welcome guests and even contained a separate entrance for single women, a common feature in the conservative Victorian era.
The hotel’s original front porch veranda will be meticulously restored while non-historic additions are removed. As part of the project, the beautiful Queen Calafia stained glass window will be restored and placed in its original second floor location. Additional stained glass windows will also be recreated from historic photos and added to the front porch.
OPENS JULY 2021
Upon completion, the front porch will once again welcome guests with grandeur and warmth, along with a chance to sit in a rocking chair and enjoy a cool glass of lemonade. The beautifully restored front porch will be the first thing guests and visitors see as they arrive.